Children Orthodontics in Santa Monica
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends visiting the orthodontist around age seven but there is no exact age for children to begin orthodontic treatment.
Children at this age have a mix of baby teeth and adult teeth, making it easier for the orthodontist to diagnose and correct tooth and jaw problems sooner and without surgery.
Signs that early treatment is needed:
- The child loses baby teeth earlier or later than the norm—which is usually around age five
- Struggles with chewing and biting are apparent
- Breathing is often done through the mouth rather than the nose
- Poor habits are kept by the child, such as thumb sucking
- There are observable speech impediments
- Some teeth protrude outward
- The teeth do not come together properly
- The jaw shifts side-to-side when opening or closing the mouth
- Front teeth exhibit crowding